Activated charcoal is one of the biggest trends in health and wellness right now. Charcoal infused products are everywhere from charcoal toothpaste and toothbrushes to facemasks and make up cosmetics . Even our Bamboo Charcoal toothbrushes.
Does it live up to the hype?
Let's take a look at the evidence.
What is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is a fine, odourless black powder that has been used clinically in hospitals for many years to help absorb excess alcohol or oral drugs, helping the body to avoid an overdose.
Its toxin-absorbing properties give it a wide range of medicinal and cosmetic uses. Activated charcoal is produced by heating natural sources of carbon, such as wood to a super high temperature.
This process reduces the size of the pores in the charcoal. It makes more holes in each molecule, therefore, increasing its overall surface area. So much so that one teaspoon full of activated charcoal has more surface area than a football field!
As a result, activated charcoal is highly absorbent and when consumed, can stop toxins from being absorbed in the stomach by binding to them. Once the toxins have bound to the charcoal, they leave the body in our poop as we are unable to digest charcoal. Making it very effective in preventing an overdose.
What are the benefits of activated charcoal products?
- Due to its potent toxin absorbing properties, activated charcoal is now a popular ingredient in a variety of health and beauty products that tote various health benefits. In skincare products, it's found to unclog pores by pulling dirt and bacteria to the skin's surface, leaving you with a clear complexion.
- It has also been said to be effective in reducing acne and even alleviating hangovers!
- Dental care is an area where charcoal-infused products have become extremely popular.
One of the most popular is activated charcoal toothpaste.
Activated charcoal also has an exceptional ability to attract other compounds which are responsible for staining of the teeth. The ability to remove harmful components is a result of activated charcoals highly absorbent nature. Meaning activated charcoal toothpaste is believed to be more effective at cleaning and whitening the teeth than standard toothpaste.
Bamboo Charcoal toothbrushes are also becoming increasingly popular. Not only because of charcoals benefits but because our love affair with single-use plastics is wreaking havoc with the environment. It's estimated that 3.6 billion plastic toothbrushes are now used worldwide every year, with the average person using 300 in their lifetime.
Unfortunately, roughly 80 per cent of these end up in the sea and because plastic is essentially indestructible, virtually every toothbrush that has been made since the 1930s is still out there in the world somewhere. Bamboo charcoal toothbrushes help keep your pearly whites in tip-top condition while being eco-friendly.
When choosing a bamboo charcoal toothbrushes, ensure you pick one with bristles that are made from nylon-4.
Nylon-4 decomposes faster than standard nylon and can be disposed of in the compost bin along with the bamboo brush handle, and both will biodegrade into the soil.
Charcoal dental floss is another eco-friendly dental care product that is becoming increasingly popular.
Charcoal dental floss is biodegradable, plastic-free and offers all the fantastic benefits of activated charcoal to boot. Regular dental floss is made from plastic and often gets flushed down the toilet after use. Because it doesn't break down, it can cause serious clogs and environmental damage when flushed.
A bamboo charcoal toothbrush has become one of today's most popular alternatives to a plastic toothbrush.
- They're ergonomically designed using sustainable bamboo as the brush handle its non- toxic doesn't need pesticides or fertilizers in order to grow at rapid speeds in large quantities.
- Natural Bamboo is the perfect alternative to using plastic toothbrushes, its fast growing, sustainable, and environmentally friendly. Yet it does the Job!
- It’s creates a well profiled bamboo handle to allow for a firm grip.
As for the toothbrush bristles, they are made from natural fibres giving them a soft to the tooth feel induced with charcoal for natural teeth whitening. The charcoal infused bristles naturally whiten your teeth by absorbing the contamination. Which builds up on enamel leaving you with a brighter and whiter as the natural bristles are soft it makes the brush heap suitable for use of sensitive gums and teeth for and effective yet gentle cleaning of the mouth.
Charcoal products at the moment are here, there and everywhere.
It's the next big thing in so many industries whether that be cosmetics such as activated charcoal toothpaste or food I mean have you seen those charcoal pizzas.
We think that due to climate change many businesses are investing their new products by using more environmentally conscious materials such as bamboo, organic cotton and linen.
This gives people with a more awareness of the impact plastic and other harmful materials that have used and produced masses of toxins and pollutants more of a choice when it comes to buying their everyday needs.
Other than the bamboo charcoal toothbrush we also offer charcoal toothpaste which does wonders with natural teeth whitening instead of using lots of chemical heavy formulas.
Fluoride is a chemical used in many toothpastes but little do people know too much of a high concentration fluoride can cause you enamel to wear away enamel is what protects your teeth from rot and decay and keeps them from being sensitive teeth and become whiter, so as you can see charcoal toothpaste is the better option here is a little on why;
More than all-natural way to whiten your teeth, activated charcoal can also
- Balance your oral microbiome
- Prevents cavities
- Remineralize teeth
- Improves bad breath
First here is a little insight on the history of activated charcoal and why products that contain this versatile ingredient is the next thing you may want to add to your daily routine.
The history of activated charcoal use
The documentation on the charcoals properties to absorb dates back to the 1700s and the first clinical applications during the early 1800s. Over the next 150 years activated charcoal was further purified and activated to improve its absorptive powers. Here are some of the biggest benefits of activated charcoal;
- Activated charcoal is best known for being able to detoxify
- Activated charcoal is negatively charged this means that positive charged ions such as toxins and harmful chemicals will bind to the charcoal molecules in order to detoxify and get rid of it.
- Charcoal Brightens the Teeth. Rather than needing to use separate whitening products or toothpastes, our toothbrushes have charcoal infused right into the bristles.
- Charcoal is naturally porous and helps to absorb areas of discolouration and bacteria from the tooth enamel without being too abrasive, making it one of the safest natural ways to get whiter teeth.
- Reduces Bad Breath Regular brushing is one of the main ways to fight bad breath, but for some people that alone isn’t enough.
- Charcoal has natural carbon absorbing properties which helps to wick away some of the issues which contribute towards bad breath, helping to keep your mouth super fresh.
- Better For Your Teeth Our toothbrushes are made from recyclable nylon, and infused with charcoal.
Although natural bristles would be an ideal addition to toothbrushes, we feel that vegan biodegradable products are not quite refined enough to give you the cleaning power we think is so important. There’s also not enough research to support their sustainability.
As soon as we can find an effective alternative to our recyclable nylon bristles, we’ll make the switch!
- Charcoal Helps to Heal As well as having antibacterial properties which can kill nasty germs in your mouth (even the most stringent tooth-brusher can have 100,000 bacteria living on each tooth surface!), charcoal also has anti-inflammatory properties which can help to soothe inflamed gums and prevent gum disease from progressing.
- It’ll Make You Feel Good! Aside from all of the wonderful physical benefits of opting for a charcoal toothbrush, you’ll have the benefit of knowing that you’re using a product which is ethically sourced,
- FDA approved,
- vegan friendly and had a biodegradable handle with recyclable bristles.
What could be better than that?
It seems many charcoal health and beauty products are living up to the hype, especially within skin and dentalcare. Activated charcoal is entirely natural, eco-friendly and due to its powerful ability to attract other compounds is proving to be an effective ingredient in a range of health and beauty products. If you are looking to reap the benefits of activated charcoal - head to the The Willow Trader .
The Willow Trader is an online store that stocks a range of eco-friendly activated charcoal-infused dental products that are 100% vegan and animal cruelty-free. Making the switch to eco-friendly activated charcoal dental care products is sure to keep your mouth and the plan
Sustainable Wooden Toothbrushes Posted by Paul Williamson on