Lively lives further our desire for more convenient options that's just how humans work.
Makeup remover wipes being the classic example, rather than spending extra time cleaning your face with water, we usually reach for a wipe for a less time consuming way of removing our makeup. However, in my opinion, these makeup wipes cling around much longer than you think with it taking years for wipes to breakdown in landfills or the ocean wherever it ends up. This can ruin habitats and in the process destroy food chains.
Likewise, one of the greatest offenders in your beauty regime is cotton pads and earbuds. Presently, I understand you are probably thinking yet they are cotton, certainly, they are eco-friendly? Right?
However, the fact is that the bleaching and mixing processes involved in making them mean they are not as biodegradable as you may think or has eco-friendly.
The most troubling perspective about all of this, however, it is the fact that using disposable makeup remover wipes and disposable cotton pads have become, such a regular aspect of our beauty routine. That we infrequently stop and reflect about how destructive and wasteful they can be.
Nevertheless, biodegradable, bamboo face pads are an incredible option to these not to mention they are an easy way to do your bit for the environment. Just changing and swapping out our everyday essentials Here are just a few benefits:
They are Cost Effective
Now as we all know, the average pack of 50 cotton pads costs around the £3 mark, give or take a few pounds. With this knowledge, you must be thinking well a pack of 6 bamboo face pads cost £5.99. However, if you look at it on a larger scale you would see that because the bamboo face pads are;
- 100% natural
This means that they can be washed over and over again after each use which means you will only have to buy a pack once. Resulting in, you spending less on face pads overall. Which gives you a few extra pounds to spend on more luxury skincare. You can get your face pads and save landfill and the ocean at the same time who is to complain.
If you would like more than 6 pads there is also the option of 12 bamboo face pads for the price of £8.99.
Cotton. Known to be environmentally friendly as well as sustainable. Right? Wrong. The number of chemicals, fertilisers, harmful pesticides, water consumption and the mass wiping out of trees to provide agricultural land for cotton growth is astronomical and very damaging to the planet.
All for a cotton pad. It seems ridiculous and unfair. Why should wildlife have to leave? In order for a cotton pad to be used. Honestly, Is it worth it?
For the sake of a bamboo face pad. Which essentially does the same thing. What is the point?
Not just the cotton pads themselves but what about the plastic packaging they come in. Most of us will be fully aware of the damage plastic is causing the planet but just a few things to mention for those of you that are not aware plastic is damaging because;
- Plastic is sent to landfill where it supposed to decompose which is scientifically proven to take at least 100 Years for plastic to break down which you know instead just builds up and because they are so much use of it. It either builds up and take up space or is blown away into the likes of the ocean.
- There is now 5.25 trillion macro and micro pieces of plastic in our ocean and 46,000 pieces in every square mile of ocean, weighing up to 269,000 tonnes. Every day around 8 million pieces of plastic makes their way into our oceans.
- It can ruin wildlife. The amount of turtles, sea birds and fish that have a percentage of microplastic in them is unheard of and it is only getting worse.
- It increases the acidity of the ocean. This can destroy coral reefs which can be considered the life source of the ocean it is where many of the smaller marine life live.
- With no home means no small marine life which can cause an unbalanced food chain which could lead to mass amounts of marine life to become extinct.
They are Amazing for your skin
Bamboo face pads really do work miracles on the skin. Derived from luxury organic sustainably grown bamboo which is further on created into a fibre like cotton.
The soft texture the bamboo creates means it is suitable for all skin types no matter if you have psoriasis or just sensitive skin. With them being super soft also makes them suitable for use around the eyes which is a much more sensitive skin area.
Other makeup removing product such as disposable face make up remover wipes contain many chemicals and so this can lead to;
- Skin Irritation- also known as Contact Dermatitis is a common condition in which the skin becomes red, itchy, and inflamed. It is not contagious and can occur in adults and children of all ages.
- Blocked Pores/ Blackheads- Blackheads are small bumps that develop on your skin because of clogged hair follicles. These bumps are called blackheads because the exterior looks dark or black. Blackheads are a mild type of acne that usually form on the face, but they can also appear on these other body parts: back.
Bamboo face pads also tend to be less abrasive on the skin. Which is beneficial as it does not expose your skin to sun damage, pollution, dirt etc.
These Bamboo Face Pads are so effective that they will even remove any waterproof makeup e.g waterproof mascara.
Easy use and maintenance
Trust me. I understand disposable wipes and cotton pads are easy and convenient. Still, convenience comes at a great price for the likes of the environment. Reusing bamboo face pads really doesn’t demand to be a chore, each bamboo face pad lasts up to 100 washes and comes out so soft just about every single time.
Once you have used it place it in the washing machine within the 100% natural laundry bag ready for the next use it just doesn’t get much easier than this. When you feel as if you are ready to dispose of the bamboo face pads, simply dispose of them in your compost bin this is because all the materials are natural and biodegradable.
Apart from the fact, that disposable makeup remover wipes and cotton pads, are both harmful towards the environment and expensive in the long run, preferring reusable over disposable and quality over quantity. They will help in doing your bit for the environment. Believe me, on this, making the switch over to Bamboo face pads really will be able to protect your skin, wallet and the planet.
What could be more reassuring?
They are made of bamboo!
Bamboo is not just food for pandas. It is actually a very versatile material.
Not just versatile either. It is one of the most sustainable plants and could be the solution to our problem of deforestation.
Bamboo can be a very sustainable crop:
- a fast-growing grass,
- it requires no fertiliser
- self-regenerates from its own roots, so it doesn't need to be replanted.
When compared to cotton cultivation, which requires large amounts of water, pesticides, and labour, the advantages are pretty clear.
One of the biggest environmental benefits of bamboo is its ability to absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
Compared to an equivalent tree mass, bamboo produces 35% more oxygen and research has shown that bamboo can absorb as much as 12 tonnes of carbon dioxide per hectare per year. That’s a lot of carbon sequestration!